The purest pleasure is one that is simple and without pretension.
Gateau au Citron, with thanks to Joy of Baking
* 1 cup (200 gr) sugar
* 230 gr butter, room temperature
* 4 eggs
* lemon zest of a large lemon
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 2 C all purp. flour (T55)
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 C lemon juice
* 1 C icing sugar ~ I ran out of icing sugar and tried to made my own by grinding white sugar. Failed!!
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* [Preparing the cake] Preheat oven to 175C. Butter a 9-inch round pan (I used a 10-inch) and line the bottom with parchment paper.
* In a bowl, whisk butter and sugar until the mixture turns pale. Add in the egg one by one, whisk well before adding the next egg. Add in the vanilla & the lemon zest.
* In a separate bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, salt.
* Add in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture along with lemon juice. Mix only until it's incorporated.
* Bake for 30 mins or so, until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let it cool down.
* [Preparing the icing] mix all ingredients until it turns a smooth paste. Add in more lemon juice or water to your desired thickness.