Saturday, December 3, 2011

Butter Chicken Take 2

"Houston, Houston.. we have a problem." said a voice from the toilet.
"What problem?" I asked
"We haven't been eating butter chicken for a long time.." said the voice again.
"Ok, this weekend we will buy the ingredients." I promised
"Ok Houston. Roger and out."

Original recipe is from Rasa Malaysia. I did the first version with Turkey here, but I didn't grill the meat. So this time round I browned it using a stove top.

Butter Chicken a la Rasa Malaysia (serve 2)

Ingredients:

[a] Chicken Marinade
* 350 gr chicken breast meat, cubed
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt (about 1 1/2 yogurt cup)
* 1 tbsp Chicken tandoori masala
* 1/2 lemon juice
* 1 tsp minced garlic
* 1 tsp ginger
* salt & red chilli powder to taste

[b] Chicken Gravy
* 1.5 tbsp butter
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 clove
* 1 cardamom, bruised
* 2 ripe tomatoes, blended
* 1 tsp tomato paste
* 1 tsp fenugreek leaves (I subs. with a pinch of fenugreek seed)
* 1 tsp honey
* 1 tsp Garam Masala
* 125 ml thick cream

How to:
* [Preparing the chicken marinade] add all ingredients and marinate overnight. 

* Brown the chicken pieces in griller or in my case, I used stove top. Set aside.

* [Preparing the chicken gravy]  Melt the butter, add in the cinnamon stick, clove and cardamom. Stir fry for a minute before adding the tomatoes and the tomato paste. Half cover, over small fire, to let it cook until the tomatoes turn dry a little with the oil forming at the top.

* Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the chicken and any remaining chicken marinade you have. Cook for another 10-15 mins. 

A personal note: The first time I did it, I didn't wait until the tomatoes have dried up properly (as per instruction), rendering a 'wet' butter chicken. We loved the taste and everything but my maiden attempt didn't look anywhere near Rasa Malaysia's. So this time round, I made sure they are cooked until it is dry. And thick :) I absolutely adore this version, but H likes when it's wetter. He prefers the first version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment