Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 20: Tawa Pulao

This online journal of recipe is so not working on the days that internet is down. Like what happened most days this week. But good thing I still have my little green book of recipe.

My neighbour knew we both love Indian food and often shares with us his kitchen escapades. He's Texan, Indian by heritage and yet vegetarian by choice. Imagine that. Just the other day he made Gulab Jamun. But what I'll forever remember him for is for the Tawa Pulao he made many months ago for our little picnic. Mine doesn't resemble his at all, but it certainly made a very nice lunch especially accompanied by butter chicken.

Tawa Pulao wannabe (serve 2)

Ingredients:
* 1 tbsp butter + 2 tbsp OO
* 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds
* 1 large onion, diced
* 3/4 tsp mince ginger
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 large bell pepper, cubed
* 10-12 cherry tomatoes, quartered. You can use regular tomatoes.
* 1/2 tsp turmeric powder + 1 tbsp garam masala + 1/2 tsp paprika
* 2 cup cooked rice (I used basmati rice this time)
* 1/3 cup green peas
* cilantro to garnish

How to:
* Heat up butter & oil, add in the seeds. Once you can smell the fragrance, add in onions. Half way through, add in ginger and garlic. Cook till soft.

* Add in the tomatoes and bell pepper. Cover and cook for 3-4 mins till soft. Add in the spices and mix well.

* Add in rice and toss. Taste & adjust the seasoning, add more turmeric powder if necessary for colour.

* Lastly add in the green peas. Mix. Turn off the heat, add in the cilantro and serve immediately.


I would certainly add in diced carrots next time for additional texture. But I'm curious what will happen if I add cubed pineapple ;) So unconventional, but I thought the flavour will blend in just nicely with the sourness from the tomato. Skip the yogurt though. Hopefully you won't forget to fry some papadums, unlike me!

No comments:

Post a Comment