Sunday, November 13, 2011

Day 21: Pineapple Fried Rice

H has been having busy week and hasn't returned home for lunch for quite some time. So I've been sending him off with 'lunch box full of love'. That's how he calls it. I swear. So the other day, I cooked pineapple fried rice with squid and fish which I sauteed separately, added last.

I copied the recipe from the always reliable Rasa Malaysia here and modified based on what I have. I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed with the result. I used the pineapple from a can. And it's bland. Bleh. So you better make sure you found a really sweet one, otherwise it beats the purpose of cooking this dish.



Pineapple Fried rice (serve 1)

Ingredients:
* Cooked rice for 1
* 2.5 rings of pineapple from a can. Cubed
* 1 small clove garlic, minced
* 1 tsp chili shrimp paste
* 1/2 red chili, deseed and sliced into small pieces
* 5-6 long beans, chopped into bite size pieces
* 1 tbsp fish sauce
* 1/4 tsp dark soya sauce
* 1/2 tbsp pineapple juice (I didn't have this, so I omitted it)
* Optional: prawn or fish fillet

How to:
* In a pan, heat up some oil and stir fry the garlic, shrimp paste and chili.

* Add in the long beans. If you are using prawn or fish fillet, add them here too. Stir fry till half cooked.

* Add rice & pineapple cubes, toss. Add in fish sauce, soya sauce and toss some more. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve warm.

On hindsight, I should have added pineapple juice (not the juice from canned pineapple) to enhance flavor. And choose a very, very, good pineapple.

Verdict: for H, this is already borderline too spicy for him, while I would have liked to add 1 more tsp chili shrimp paste that I bought in Mauritius ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment