Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 22: Vegetable Fritters

Something to eat on the road.. la di dah! 


Original recipe is courtesy of Indochinekitchen here..
and here's how I did mine.
Dont worry about measurement. Have no fear.
Everything will turn out well...

.. eventually..
.. usually..


Start by chopping your vegetables. 
I used 3/4 can of corn, drained
6 long beans, chopped
 1 large red chili, deseed & chopped


In your pestle & mortar, 1 medium garlic, 2 candlenuts, several shallots. 
Pounded till turn into a paste.
Add in 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 white pepper, 1/2 tsp sugar,1/2 tsp coriander powder


Voila. 


And while rummaging my things, I found a can of beansprouts. 
Off they go to the bowl :)
Add 1 egg
5 heaping tbsp of flour (I actually used self raising flour, to make them fat :))
1 tbsp of chicken coating (I didn't have rice flour)
A little water.. don't worry about the exact measurement.
You'll soon see what I mean.


Mix them till they start gluing together and not too wet.
If still too wet, add in the flour. 


Scoop 1 tbsp into hot oil & deep fry till brown on all sides.
If you see them breaking (i.e. as in my case, several corns decided to fly solo), add in more flour
to form a thicker batter.
Don't worry. Drink a glass of wine.
Who cares it's 9am. Your kitchen. Your rules.
Don't forget to taste & adjust seasoning. 
Add salt, pepper or any seasoning if you wish.


Then fry one more.
Taste and adjust till you're happy.


I know my driver and I were very happy. 


"muito boa, madam"

1 comment:

  1. Ouw you can do so much with fritters... try this one :
    - carrot + cabbage
    - corn alone
    - small white fish (not sure what it is called) - white baits?

    I think you can try putting in some small shrimp like ebi too :)

    i love making bakwan... heheh...

    -K

    ReplyDelete