I have tried many, MANY, muffin recipes, including eggless muffins.
But this is the one I swear by.
This is the one that others ask me to make more often. This is the one that B kept for breakfast, only to swallow it whole just before sleeping. At 23h30.
This is the one that H can eat 5 within a day. Hang on, maybe it's me. Or maybe both of us.
K gave me the ideas to make muffin with streusel. Strange that I have never heard of it till then. Ha! But my muffins sure do look prettier. I shall never look back. Icing sugar, move aside.
I wrote the muffin recipe down in my little green recipe book, but didn't write the source. For streusel topping, I copied from Mama-knows-best Paula Dean.
Banana Chocolate Muffin with Streusel (makes 18)
- 1 3/4 cup all purp flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 ripe medium-sized banana)
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate, diced, leave some big chunky pieces :)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
* Preheat oven to 175 C.
* [Making the streusel] mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside. If your streusel is too crumbly, not holding together into biggish lumps, add in more butter. Start with 1 tbsp. Squeezing them in your hands so they are firmly pack will work too. Just break it off later when you're about to sprinkle.
* [Making the muffin] In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
In a smaller bowl, mix the egg, oil, yogurt & vanilla.
* Dump the smaller bowl into the larger bowl. Mix. Add in the banana & chocolate, mix well.
* Into your muffin cups, pour till 2/3 filled. Topped the rest with streusel.
* Bake for 20-25 mins till tooth pick inserted come clean. Except the chocolate, that's supposed to still be gooey for days to come ;)