Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 18: Fish head curry with Okra (minus the fish head and the curry)

What does that leave my dish? An okra stew of some sort :)

I l.o.v.e. okra. Slimey and crunchy. Weird combination but I love it. Another food that I grow to love as my palate develops. My 2nd time cooking Okra at home. In the past, I have chosen the largest okra I can find. But I learn they are not digestible, not to mention too hard and stringy like an old celery.

But this time? I will happily renounce my meat just to eat a big bowl of my Okra stew. *burp* Ooops!!


Original recipe is courtesy of Mongolian Kitchen here, and here's how I did mine.

Okra Stew (serves 2 as side dish)

Ingredients:
* 10 medium sized okra, cut away the ends & chop in half. If you have the smallish finger-long size, it's better. Adjust the quantity
* 1/2 small onion, diced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 large + 1 medium tomatoes, peeled and pureed
* 1 medium size red chilli, deseed and chopped
* 1 tsp paprika paste
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* S+P to taste

How to:
* Using your pressure cooker, heat up some OO and brown the onion. Half way through, add in the garlic and brown some more. Till fragrant.

* Add in the puree tomatoes, red chilli, paprika paste, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Taste and adjust to your liking.

* Add in the okra, stir and make sure they are coated by the sauce. Cover and cook for about 20 mins or so, till soft. If needed, adjust the taste before serving.

I also made some baked crab cakes, but nothing like those I had in Atlanta. Not even close. So I won't be posting any recipe for that.






No comments:

Post a Comment