During H's absence, I watched a lot of tv, particularly JO's 30 minutes meal. I was so excited about his fritata, can't wait to do one. With puff pastry!
Although we both were very pleased with the result, it ain't pretty looking. Not something that I can bring to a dinner party. I found my chicken cream is tad too liquid, but H seemed to adore the fact he can dip and soak his bread with it. I purposely didn't do a thick creamy version. It's dinner after all, nothing too heavy for us.
I certainly will do it again and again and again until I can fold the puff pastry perfectly.
Chicken Pot Pie with Puff Pastry (2 pax)
* 4 puff pastry sheets
* 1 medium carrot, diced
* 1 small onion, diced
* 2 celery sticks, diced
* 5 button mushroom, sliced thinly
* 1/2 C shredded chicken breast. More if you prefer
* 2 tbsp flour
* 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp Olive oil
* 1/2 C to 1 C of chicken broth (I used the broth from my green chilly shredded chicken)
* 1/2 C shredded cheddar
* Preheat your oven to 175 C.
* (Preparing the cream chicken) In a pot, heat up the butter & OO, add in the carrots, onions & celery. Cook till soft about 5-10 mins.
* Ladle in some chicken broth if it's too dry. Otherwise, add in the flour & whisk till incorporated. Then ladle some more broth to your desired consistency. Add in the mushroom & chicken (you can add corn here if you like. H doesn't eat corn). Taste and add seasoning (salt, pepper, etc).
* (Preparing the puff pastry) Prepare a parchment paper with a size larger than your pie plate. I used a 9" plate and hence tear about 11x11" parchment paper. Scrunch it up into a ball, and put it under running water till it soaks up & soften. Using your palm, flatten it on a flat surface.
* Once the parchment paper is flat, lay over the first pastry sheet. Dab some OO all over it. Repeat for the 2nd one. Lay over the 3rd one 2 inches slightly upward & to the left than the first one. The idea is to create some excess with which you're going to fold on top of the pie, and serve as "cover". Lay over the 4th one slightly downward and to the right. Once you're happy with your enlarged puff pastry, lift everything incl. the parchment paper and lay it over your pie plate right in the middle. Push them in and follow the shape of your pie plate.
* Scatter half of your cheddar on your pie before pouring in the cream chicken. Top with the remaining of the cheddar.
* Carefully fold or pleat the pastry sheet and "close" the pie. Brush the top with some oil or butter. Bake for 15 mins or till golden brown. I also tear the excess parchment paper at this stage.
Like I said, I'm not perfectly happy with the pleating and folding of my pot pie, but for home cooking, it works :) H happily did the dishes afterwards. Yay!!