Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cassoulet, Canard et Carcassonne



Carcassonne is a beautiful medieval small town 30 mins driving off Toulouse. It's a nice idyllic place with a small castle and towers surrounding the town. H took me to this place two Christmases ago to taste cassoulet at its birth place (??). Looking back, I don't remember anything particularly special about the cassoulet there. But I do remember farting all the way to meet my in-laws to be. Not exactly the best first impression. Blame it on the nerves, blame it on the beans, but it's all H's fault, really. 

Anyway, today I decided to grease my way up to H's heart (so he'll loosen the wallet a little bit) with cassoulet and confit du canard. You can eat cassoulet on its own, you can eat confit du canard on its own, but the french knows the best way to eat them is to have both on the same plate. The way it's done by ma belle mere, the way it's done in Bourdain's Les Halles, the way it's done in Carcassonne. 




recipe coming up.. ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment