Thursday, October 27, 2011

Teochew Braised Duck, Lo Ak

I'm so very pleased with the result, with the exception that the breast meat is not as moist as those sold in hawker centre in Singapore. I also called my dad to let him know I'm cooking his favourite food :)


I would have felt guilty (just a tad!) if I cook this and H couldn't eat it at all. But since he left quite abruptly this morning, I felt no guilty whatsoever. I tuck them all into my tummy faster than you say, omg.

Original recipe is from Rasa Malaysia (my primary source for anything chinese related). I basically halved all measurement, and use only half breast meat. I'm keeping the other one for magret de canard.

Here's the original recipe and here's how I did mine.

Ingredients:
* half duck breast, heavily sprinkled with coarse sea salt
* 1 4cm-long cinnamon stick
* 2 star anises
* 2 cloves
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1 tsp coarse sea salt
* 1/2 tsp crushed black peppercorn
* 1 lemongrass, crushed
* 1 2cm-thick galangal
* 1 cup water, plus more
* 1/4 cup dark soya sauce

How to:
* In a heavy bottomed pot, add in all ingredients (except the duck) and let it boiled.

* Turn to low heat, then slowly lower down the duck breast meat. Add in water if necessary, to make sure the duck is half covered. I didn't have to.

* Every 5-10 mins (when you can take your eyes off whatever you're doing) bask the meat with the sauce. Turn it if necessary.

* Cook for at least 1.5 hours till very, very, tender. Add more water if needed, so it won't dry out.

Enjoy with duck rice, duck egg, bean curd.. sigh.. if only we're in Asia. I didn't wait and tuck them in right after I hung up and took the photo :) Yummm..

No comments:

Post a Comment