Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day 19: Chicken Curry Puff


Now that my classes have resumed and I'm on the road for most afternoons with back-to-back appointments, I need a snack to keep me calm and less neurotic during commuting. H says I'm at my worst behavior when I'm hungry. And isn't curry puff the perfect company? :)

H doesn't know what Old Chang Kee is, nor what curry puff is. But he could ate them as snack, main and dessert. Heh :)
I followed the recipe from Bee Yinn Low's Rasa Malaysia to the T. Well, not exactly, because I added egg in mine. Nyeh nyeh nyeh.. just to feel closer to my good ole Chang Kee. As usual, I didn't have all the required ingredients, but when does that ever stop me?

Chicken Curry Puff (make 34 curry puffs)

Ingredients:
[a] Filling
* 2 large boiled potatoes, diced
* 1 medium red onion, diced
* 2 tsp curry powder, 2 tsp chicken masala, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilli powder. Mixed.
* 1/2 cup diced chicken (breast) meat
* 1 tsp sugar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
* 3-4 tbsp OO
* 2 boiled eggs, mashed/chopped roughly

[b] The Pastry
* 450 gr all purpose flour (I used T55)
* 140 gr butter
* 3/4 cup water
* 1/2 tsp salt

How to:
* [Making the filling] Heat up the pan & the oil, and brown the onion till soft & fragrant.

* Add in the curry powder mixes, stir well. Add in the chicken & the remaining seasoning. Half way done, add in the egg and stir. Cook until the chicken is done, but not too dry. Taste & adjust. Set aside to cool.

* [Making the pastry] Half melt the butter in the microwave. In a large bowl, sift the flour & salt, mix before adding the butter. Add the water in batches. You may or may not use all of the water. Knead with your hand (or if you have a stand in food processor, lucky you. Use the paddle) until it is well incorporated. Set aside, go take shower and come back in 30 mins.

[Putting all together] Once well incorporated, start shaping them into a ball of 2-3 cm diameter. Using the rolling pin, flatten them to about 3mm thick, and lay them over your mold. Fill in (not too full) and clasp them back into shape. (Or if you don't have one of those mold, good luck in pleating till dawn)

* Fry till golden.





Note to self: I would like to try adding 1 egg yolk and reduce the quantity of the water next time. To see if it can improve the colour a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment