Sunday, October 9, 2011

Veal Ragu with Polenta

Have I told you that Sunday is my most productive day? Yes? Well, I'm saying it again. I'm most hyper during the weekend. Particularly Sunday.

So when I saw a good beef and polenta, I know I gotta do this. Only to realize that my bife lombo is not beef, since it has a prefix of novilho. It's veal. That's my portuguese, I tell ya. Not surprising that the meat costs $12 usd for 300 gr!!

Recipe is taken from The Parsley Thief but halfway through, I realize I need to put the pan inside oven for 3 hours. Wot?!? (I hardly read recipes properly you see and this is my downfall). So here's my "version" instead, using the gems I found at Pretoria's supermarket (I LOVE PRETORIA!!)


My mise-en-place (for 2 pax)
* 300 gr Veal loin (or whatever meat/cut you fancy)
* 1 small onion, 3 small carrots diced, set aside
* 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced, set aside
* 2 anchovies, 1 tsp paprika paste, 1/2 tomatoes, mix and pound with your pestle & mortar
* 2 sun dried tomatoes, chopped finely. Add into the anchovies mixture
* 10 button mushroom, sliced and set aside
* 1 cup red wine, 1/2 tbsp dijon moutard, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 medium tomato diced, all mix in a medium bowl
* 1 cup chicken stock
* 2 tbsp olive oil

How to:
* Using your pressure cooker pot (uncovered), heat the oil and brown the veal on all sides (2 mins each sides, or more). Once it's brown, remove and add the carrot & onion mixture. Halfway through, add the minced garlic.
* After 2 mins, add the anchovies mixture. Mix well.
* Add back the veal, and add the red wine mixture & the chicken stock. Depending on your pot surface, you may need to add more. Add water if you're worried about the sodium.
* Cover the pot and cook for about 45 mins to 1 hr till the water almost dried up (left about 1 cup of coffee). Check every 15-20 mins, stir and taste. It took me 45 mins.
* Once the water has almost dried up, turn off the stove. Remove the meat & set aside.
* Using your food processor, remove the bay leaf and mashed the remaining pot contents to your desired smoothness. I prefer not too smooth.
* Once the meat is cool to handle, tear using your hand. But while waiting, prepare your polenta as per instruction.

And you're ready for a great lunch! :)


Garnish (or eat) with cilantro. I mean, loads of cilantro. I like :)

n.b. I bet it'd taste better with celery, but I didn't find it in supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment