Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Quiche Post (Part II): The Filling

etes-vous pret? Allez-y! Mettez la musique.

Cream mixture: 
- 2 eggs & 1 egg yolk
- 200 ml cream 
Note: if you're stingy like me or simply worry about cholesterol, I use 2 eggs + 1 egg white (the one whose yolk is used for the dough). But be warned it wouldn't turn as yellow.


How to:
* Preheat oven to 200 degree and remove Pâte brisée from fridge. Wait for 5-10 minutes until dough becomes more malleable (else, you'll have to use brute force). 
* Lay the ball over your pyrex, using your palm, fingers and what have you to flatten them. Make sure it's equally thin everywhere. Use fork and poke through all surfaces, as to release air when it's baked in the oven. 
* Bake inside oven for a good 20 mins, or until semi-brown. Use your nose. When you smell butter, stand by and frequently check. Do not bake till done.


* While waiting, start preparing the filling. For this one, I use half a leek, red bell pepper, chicken leftover and cheddar. In the past, I have used bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, corn, goat cheese, soft cheese, pecorino.. whatever I take on fancy & available inside my fridge. I stopped short of adding jicama (labusium). I almost did not. 
* After laying all your filling, mix the cream mixture in a bowl, then pour over. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, don't be shy. 
* Put back into oven, third rack, and bake for 30-40 mins. Again, use your nose. When you start smelling cheese, stand by. I tend to bake longer to create that golden cheese burnt. 


Et voila! Bon appetit, cherie. 
this is what happens when you skimp on the yolk, the cream is still white.
Don't forget to squeeze out a massage promise before serving this. I'm going to ask for salary increment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment